Thursday, August 19, 2010

I'll Get You My Pretty

Many of the signposts, lamp posts... and other kinds of posts in the East Village are covered in elaborate mosaics.  These mosaics can be very random in color and pattern, but this one particularly impressed me with its Wizard of Oz content.  I really like the Wicked Witch of the West- and no, this is not be having seen Wicked and suddenly been enlightened by the mastery of Idina Menzel.  To be honest, I did see her in Wicked and I loved it, and probably (definitely) can sing the majority of the soundtrack from memory.  But, I had a thing for this character many years before she was even in Rent.  I saw The Wizard of Oz when I was a little kid, and I sympathized with the witch.  At every opportunity, I attempted to convince my family that she just had a terrible childhood, and was not really evil, but misunderstood. I was an odd kid.

Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA

No comments:

Post a Comment