Tuesday, December 20, 2011

My Confession


I struggled when it came to writing this post.  Here is this massive number of photographs, that I'm really proud of, and couldn't wait to share... and I wasn't sure how to write about them.  Why?  Because I took them in a cemetery.  

That probably sounds stupid.  Why would I be worried about that?  Well, I felt a bunch of pressures pushing down on me... namely, that I didn't know if I wanted to write about death.  I have no idea what to say about death.  It happens, and it's sad.  I don't think about it much.  Ok.  Um, that's about it.  That's what I have to say about death.  That would have been a sucky, awful post.  Not happening.  I've been trying to produce quality content lately, and when I try too hard to write on-topic, I end up sounding extremely contrived.  My vocabulary does become larger, but my honesty inevitably gets lost in the syllables somewhere.  Basically, if this post had been about death, it would have been a load of crap.  I would have made things up.  You wouldn't have enjoyed reading it.  So, I didn't.

The second preferably avoidable outcome was, to me, the trickier one.  I was afraid that all of my readers, and yes, this includes you, yes, you, would think that I was a goth kid.  Think about it.  I'm posting a bunch of photographs of a cemetery.  I think that the subjects of these are gorgeous.  I find them peaceful.  My multiple hour stroll through Greenwood Cemetery in Brooklyn, in which I got lost, was serene.  Relaxing, even.  My mind was at rest in many ways.  I was listening to orchestral music, much of which included electric violins and guitars, enjoying the unseasonal sunshine, and making art.  True, I was surrounded by dead people, but something about that calmed me more than it made me nervous.  I've been in cemeteries where I felt nervous, and this was not one of those experiences.  This place felt significantly more "at peace".  There was a bizarre comforting quality to the afternoon.  

I was worried that when I shared that, you'd all think I'm a crazy goth kid.  The main reason why?  I kind of am one.  I confess- I like gothy music, and still wish that I was living in medieval times, weilding a sword and casting dark magic.  There, I said it.  I'm a goth at heart.  I accept this with open arms.  I'd love for Richmond to come and save me with Goth 2 Boss because, yup, I do listen to Cradle of Filth.  When I watched the first IT Crowd episode with him, and he talked about them, I laughed.  My mom and sister were confused, and laughing at him, but I was laughing with him.  They're artists.  I've bought into that.  To make the matter worse, I like Nightwish even better.  I do fit into society enough to know that a black lace choker and combat boots, together with long flowing black skirts, as well as black, black, and more black, are not de rigeur for every day wear.  I get it.  It's unfortunate, because I would just look so darn nifty all of the time, but, alas.  Societal norms kill fun on occasion.  We just have to accept it.  This is why I throw in subtle touches- a fleur de lis earring here, a black lace camisole there, riding boots another place and lots of eyeliner everywhere.  It works out.  I'm one of those girls who enjoys reading gothic short stories from the mid 1800's, and taking photos in cemeteries, which, you guessed it, I think are pretty, nice places.  There you have it.

Greenwood Cemetery is gorgeous.  If you live in New York City and haven't gone, well, look at your life, look at your choices.  Dude, just... just go.  It's great.  I covered maybe a fifth of it and I'm positively smitten.  These photos capture the highlights of that fifth pretty decently, if I do say so myself.  If you think this looks neat, check it out.  If you are wondering about my sanity and thinking that tombstones are creepy, then this isn't for you.  I won't judge.  If you think that this looks like where the zombiepocalypse will begin, and are readying your weapon stockpile... email me.  We should be best friends.  

Also, if you don't think that this would be an ideal place for the Zombiepocalypse, or whatever cataclysmic event causes the dead to walk and terrorize, then pulverize the existing living populace, consider this- Greenwood Cemetery has more than 600,000 residents, shall we say, spread over approximately 478 acres.  There are almost as many bodies buried in Greenwood as there are living people in Boston, Massachusetts.  Wicked.






























































This cat was guarding a mausoleum.  When I walked towards the entrance, it snarled at me.  
I'll let you draw your own conclusions on that one.


Even more photographs will be up on Facebook shortly.  I kind of went nuts on this one.

Also, regarding a few of the earlier photos in this post... don't blink.
Mwahahaha.

Brooklyn, New York City, New York, USA



3 comments:

  1. Emily, these photos are beautiful. They are truly touching... We actually seldom see graves -- it's remarkable that they are simultaneously beautiful, sad, and serene all at once.
    Found myself really contemplating the nature of life and death looking at these... wonderful job!
    --Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cat reminds me of Greyfriars Bobby, if you have ever heard of it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greyfriars_Bobby There was a 1961 movie my grand ma and pop used to show me, its sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Ginny!

    And Billy- thanks for the link! That's such a sweet story!

    ReplyDelete