Friday, December 16, 2011

Inspiration Fridays: Enchanted Forest


Forests.  Places of enchantment, perhaps, but gorgeous?  Definitely.  It's entirely possible that I've been playing too much Skyrim, but for the past few weeks, I've just wanted to walk around an old deserted forest and sing to myself.  In this fantasy I'm generally wearing a long cape and carrying a sword in one hand, and a magical spell in the other.  Ok, I have been playing too much Skyrim, but that's not the point.  Or, maybe it is.

I've always liked the outdoors.  If the option to sit outside at a restaurant exists, and the weather is tolerable, I will generally take that option.  I love walking outside, and sitting in parks.  If this park sitting involves a book and a hot beverage, well... nirvana.  That's basically my nirvana.  Plants, trees, and grass make me happy.  So do furry woodland creatures, and chirping birds.  That sounds trite, but I mean it.  As pesky as squirrels can be, I like them.  They're annoying and sometimes a bit frightening when they climb on your foot, lap, shoulder etc. and attempt to steal your food when you're eating Shake Shack in the park, but, damnit, they are cute. Those little faces, and furry tails... you get the idea.  You probably know what a squirrel looks like.

As the weather gets colder, I tend to spend less time outside, because, well, I'm not a big fan of the cold.  I like it in theory.  I enjoy snow.  It's fun to play with and makes the whole world look gorgeous and serene.  But beyond the theoretical liking, I don't really like the cold.  It's stayed shockingly warm here this fall, and for that, I'm very grateful.  Last night, I was able to walk around in a light sweatshirt/ pleather jacket combo that was distinctly unseasonal.  Then again, I was full of a delicious, warm, filling Mexican dinner from a little place we discovered near our apartment, but even my pre-hibernation style of enchilada consumption couldn't account completely for the warmth I felt outdoors.
  
If I could magically transport my life, or raise a few thousand dollars, I'd be in the wintry woods of Scotland or Sweden.  One of the most beautiful sights I've ever seen was the passing frosty woodland of the Swedish countryside from out the window of the bus from Stockholm's tiny Ryanair airport to the actual city.  I was mesmerized.  So gorgeous.  Obviously, I'm not about to receive a massive multi-thousand dollar windfall, despite my wishing, because, that's just not something that happens, so I've made slightly more realistic plans.  This winter, I want to walk around outside more often than I generally do.  I plan to explore the wooded areas of Prospect Park when they are covered in snow.  With a sword in one hand, and a magical spell in the other.  Not really, but I'll  be dreaming. The woods, despite whatever science says, always feel to me like they contain a sense of something magical; something I can't quite define. 

Magic is just science that hasn't been explained yet.




Terra Kate





















  C-nad


Oh, crap... that's...... ... that's a Skyrim screenshot isn't it... 
Darn these epic video games inspiring me to have an epic life I don't have!!!

Actually, bless these video games and these woods for inspiring me to have  a more epic life.  Why not?


2 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful collection of forest photos. So mysterious yet stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amanda!! Also, thanks for reading my blog. I appreciate it so much. I hope that all is well!

    ReplyDelete