Saturday, February 12, 2011

Brooklyn Snowpocalypse



So, New York City has basically been hammered with snow this year.  



I know that a lot of other places get way more snow than we do, but given what we are used to, this year has been pretty ridiculous.  
Last year, the term "snowpocalypse" was coined, and I think it's pretty genius.  It describes especially well those four days in the end of December when everything shut down- the subway near me didn't run. 
 For four days.  

I live off of the Q and B trains in Brooklyn, and they are outside, but below ground, which means that they are essentially in a ditch.  It's kind of hard to get snow out of a ditch efficiently.


The snow has been gorgeous, not going to lie.


I love how it makes this place look- it's rather magical, in fact.


The second huge snowstorm wasn't quite as life-altering as the first one. All of the subways were running just fine within twelve hours, which was quite a feat for MTA if you ask me. 


I was able to get to where I needed to be, which was preferable.  


But some of the results of the snow were still really crazy- signs were unreadable, traffic lights were blocked so that that they only revealed dim glows of pink, yellow and light green.  

Store overhangs collapsed due to snow.  Peoples' cars were frozen solid.  


We even saw a taxi that had crashed and been on fire.  Here's a photograph of the wreckage:


In any case, I'm hoping there isn't more crazy snow.  Light snow would be fine!  Actually, I really like that.  Seeing snowmen around and such is very pleasant, but not being able to get to auditions really isn't.  I'm ready for spring... but I'm enjoying this while it lasts.


All of these photographs were taken in Prospect Park South, Prospect Heights, Flatbush and Park Slope

Brooklyn, New York City, New York, USA
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment