Friday, November 19, 2010

Inspiration Fridays: Steampunk



Novelty portrait of an unknown man, photographed by DeWitt Studios, Scranton, Pennsylvania, c. 1893.



http://nerdygaga.com

Steampunk- it's half sci-fi, half Victorian splendor.  And, I just love it.

The mix of gothic undertones with futuristic weaponry, but light, soft whispers of lace makes me giggle like a little schoolgirl.  Gold, brass fixtures on corsets topped off with top hats- it's just great.

Danny and I have decided to use a Steampunk theme in our bedroom...everything from a brass bed frame, to golden candlesticks, to a table with gold shells holding up a glass top.  Framed around the room we have some paintings by Toulouse-Lautrec (in gold frames, of course) and a copy of the first issue of the comic book "Time Lincoln".  Once the whole thing gets put together, and by that, I mean by the time I have enough hangers to put my ridiculous amount of clothes away, I will post pictures for everyone. 

The apartment is really starting to come together.  I am so delighted about it- we got our Ikea bookshelf the other day.  It's that Expedit model, with all of the squares.  In a mode of Ms. Fix-It, I put the thing together myself, and only made one bad mistake (one side is a little uneven).  All of our books, games, DVDs and video games now have a fairly organized home!  It feels so good.  We now have no boxes, which feels even better.

Our living room, where the bookshelf lives, is Asian themed, so its various squares are covered in little knick knacks, including some paintings and drawings, and Danny's certificate from a special Martial Arts seminar.  But, most importantly, it has my little wooden Japanese doll, my two lucky cat statues, and my Kuromi and William Shakespeare plushies.

Once again, pictures shall come, just not at the moment.   I haven't taken them yet, and I think Danny wanted to do some rearranging.

In the meantime, please enjoy a crappy photobooth pic of what I did with my early afternoon yesterday... I sat on my couch drinking tea from my Shakespearean Insult Mug.


Brooklyn, New York City, New York, USA
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment