Friday, January 22, 2010

Trafalgar Square in-the-Fields

On wednesday, I went to my Renaissance Art class, just as my schedule detailed.  Ten minutes into class, we got on a bus and went to the National Gallery!  It turns out that rather than meeting in a classroom, we will be meeting in a differentmajor museum every week.  I could not possibly be more thrilled.  Right after class, I was hungry, so I left the National Gallery and ate lunch on Trafalgar Square.  I have more classes scheduled to be in that museum in the future, so I decided to leave exploring it to another day.

This is the facade of the National Gallery:



Here are a few pictures of Trafalgar Square!


 
 

On Trafalgar Square is a stunning old church called St. Martin-in-the-Fields.  I took a little spin in their  crypt area first, which included a restaurant, store, jazz music venue and a small gallery.  The current exhibit was of political cartoons from the last five years concerning the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.  It was fascinating.  Here are some exterior photographs and some of the cartoons that stuck out to me.



 
 

After this, I went inside of the church. The interior was very beautiful, and had a massive organ.  I hope to return at some point either to go to a service, or see a concert.  They have free concerts there periodically, which is excellent.  I like free.




2 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading your blog! It reminds me of when we arrived in England for a 4-year stay, nearly 10 years ago now. It's so fun to discover a new place.

    p.s. I'm Julianna's friend Kate's mom ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's great! I'm glad you're enjoying it.

    And I have met you before, but it's nice that you are following my journey online :)

    ReplyDelete