Saturday, January 30, 2010

Squirrel!

 

This squirrel tried to become my new best friend today.  I was in St. James Park, just on the side of Buckingham Palace, where the animals are all hyperactive and love tourists.  Not only are they not skittish, they are not docile, they are performing for you.  They know you might give them peanuts and take your picture. The squirrels may jump on you, the geese might chase you, and the swans will walk right up to you.  Over 30 different kinds of birds inhabit St. James Park, and many of them, being of English origin, I had never seen before.  This included the stunningly beautiful black swan.  There were canadian geese, pidgeons, swans, about ten different kinds of ducks, herons, many kinds of geese... the list goes on.  My favourite was a very charming black swan.  I did not even know that they actually existed.  They were all really friendly, so I got some close shots.  Have a gander.  (Get it? Gander?...)

 
  
 
 

The general scenery was quite lovely as well, especially given the London sunset.  Sunsets seem significantly more impressive here.  I don't know if they actually are, or whether I am just easily impressed and happy to be in Europe.That's Buckingham Palace and the Horse Guard building (I can't recall the name) in the background of some of these.

 
  
  
  

I forgot to post these pictures on thursday.... but on thursday I went back to the British Museum and looked at the China, Southeast Asia, Korea and Japan galleries.  They were amazing and there was almost no one else in them, which I found to be odd. I went in the gallery with the mummies and it was absolutely packed. There were schoolchildren in uniform everywhere. But, I liked the Asian galleries significantly better, so I just went back and spent more time in those.  Museums full of people just are not particularly appealing to me- I like to be more alone with the artwork so that I can take it all in silently.  The best thing about the Asian galleries is the zen feel.  Buddha and Ganesh were quite calming.

 
  
  
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment