Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Egypt and Assyria

Yesterday afternoon, after the world famous church crawl, I had about an hour and a half to kill before meeting a friend for dinner.  So I went to the British Museum!  I love England so much, first of all.  They actually have a government sponsored arts endowment.  The US has one, but the British one actually does things.  It does enough that all of the major museums in London and most of the other major British cities are free.  By British I am also referencing Northern Ireland, not just Scotland and Wales.  Museums are free.  More than just The Smithsonian in Washington DC.  There is even free theatre available for students!  Dance and opera are state subsidised.  Major artists are paid by the state to produce work.  And their funding isn't taken away for doing edgy things.  Pay a few more dollars in some VAT and your museums and art are free. I love it here.  This makes so much sense to me.

Anyways, sorry about that little diatribe.  I got a little excited.  Yesterday I went to The British Museum, and walked around the Egypt and Assyria exhibits on the first floor.  It took me an hour and a half, and that was only about 2% of the museum, which is insane. 

Once again, I don't think that words can describe how wonderful these exhibits were.  Or, how fascinating it is to see the Rosetta Stone in person.


 

 

 

 

 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment