Thursday, January 28, 2010

Westminster Abbey Calls

Yesterday, I went to Westminster Abbey with my Renaissance Art class.  For those of you who are interested, that means I got in for free.  Win.

Westminster Abbey was stunning.  The architecture ranges from a twelfth century Norman monastery to elaborate Victorian neogothic statuary.  Buried here lie many old kings and queens of Britain including St. Edward the Confessor, Queen Elizabeth I, Richard II and Mary, Queen of Scots.  Monuments are all around the church commemorating monarchs, peers of the realm, politicians, and famous contributors to society.  These include Isaac Newton, Charles Darwin, Alfred Tennyson and Oliver Cromwell.

It is actually against the rules to take pictures within Westminster Abbey. I found this out after taking about twenty-five pictures.  So please, enjoy my illegal photography.  The photos of the exterior, however, are completely legal.  Just a reminder that all photographs on this site are mine unless otherwise noted.

 
 
  
 

Now, right across the street from Westminster Abbey is Westminter Palace, more commonly known as Parliament.  The building is stunning, and is decorated with a bell tower, one of the most famous in the world.  Big Ben.  Actually, Big Ben is just the name of the bell.  The clock tower is just... the clock tower on the end of Westminster Palace.  This is much less impressive sounding.  In any case, it is wickedly photogenic.
 
  

One of the most photogenic sights in London is hidden in the back of the pentultimate Westminster Palace shot.  The London Eye, a massive and very slow Ferris Wheel on the South Bank.  Here are a few photos taken from the opposite bank of the Thames.


  

There is one London sight more photogenic than either of these massive monuments.  That would be a flock of more than one hundred fighting pigeons.  I don't know why this was happening, but it was pretty amazing that it did occur.  I'm just glad that I caught it on film.


 
  
  

This seagull was a little bit offended that I thought pigeons were more photogenic than seagulls.  So, I let him pose for me.  



That night, I went to see JB Priesly's "An Inspector Calls" directed by Stephen Daldry.  It was brilliant.  The set was innovative and effective, the lighting was fascinating, the costumes were stunning, the acting was superb and there was a massive amount of fog.  Fog kind of wins me over.  Throw in some pyrotechnics and a destroyed house and we're in business.  It was wonderful, and I loved it.

 
 

London, England, UK

No comments:

Post a Comment