Sunday, January 17, 2010

Telephone Booth Teakettle

Once again, ladies and gentlemen, it exists!



Now where on earth did I find this little, totally unnecessary, tacky piece of joy?  I found it here:



At Cool Brittania.  The tourist Superstore!  It was like the Wal-Mart of all tourist gear stores, right on Picadilly Circus.  New York has small tourist shops with silly items.  They are everywhere- especially in areas where there are lots of tourists.  This only makes sense.  Obviously, these stores are kind of tacky, and all probably affiliated with one another somewhat, but they don't announce it.  Cool Brittania actually tried to be a real store.  Not only did it try to be real- it tried to be fashionable!  It attempted to look cool.  It pretty much failed and ended up looking like the most ridiculous thing ever.  This means that... it was unbelievably fun!!

Here are some photos of the absurd store interior.


 

Because absolutely everyone and their mom needs a Union Jack mini cooper.  They also need this.



I mean really, I don't know anyone who needs that.  Except for maybe the kind of people who also need stuff like this:



They painted the beer on the glass FOR YOU.  You don't even have to put anything in the glass and you already look like a proper British drunkard!  This is perfect for a friend or loved one.

This, on the other hand, is perfect for your French friends.  They can tread all over the British flag every time they go into or out of their house!



I don't know about you.  That's just what I have been wanting for all of my life.  More than anything.  Ever.

I have also been wanting this:



You know, after being in Texas for a week I just KNEW I had to have a cowboy hat with the British flag on it.  There was no question in my mind that this was the perfect fashion accessory for me.  I would get to represent Danny, from Texas, and myself, who is in London in a very original fashion statement.  Little did I know that someone actually made them.  This hat is for real.  And, the sad thing is, people probably buy it.  (I didn't actually... that was a joke).

And, just a reminder... nothing says I love you like a Valentines Day Pink Union Jack Teddy Bear!



Except for maybe one of these two delightful English tourist trap treats...


 

Ten million bonus points go to whoever can tell me why on earth I was able to take that last photo in a tourist store full of tacky tourists things that, other than these delightful fuzzy handcuffs, were all quite obviously British themed.  I know that England was a frontrunner in the punk/grunge/alternative movement... but I am still confused.  I am also laughing.



No comments:

Post a Comment