Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Republic of Texas

1-10-10

So here's some for about my trip to Texas!  I had such a lovely time with Danny and his father.  Austin is a beautiful town.  I always think of Texas as the state with cowboys, cowboy hats, cowboy boots and crazy conservatives.  Austin proved to not really be that.  Granted, there were Texas motifs absolutely everywhere.  The shape of the state of Texas, Longhorns, and stars were everywhere.  Places all over the State said "The Republic of Texas," which was pretty cool.  But Austin itself had a very liberal, funky feel.  It was generally quite young, most people did not have southern accents, and the TexMex food was AMAZING.  I just loved it.  All of Danny's friends were great too.  Really friendly, cool people.  Not that I thought he'd have lame friends-- I knew if he liked them they had to be good people.

We started out our trip by seeing Avatar in 3D.  It was a decent movie.  The CGI was incredible.  I have never seen anything so stunning on film.  The idea of the movie was fantastic.  However, the plot was very predictable.  Once the characters were all introduced, I knew exactly what was to happen.  The idea of a world that was an entire energy network that has been killed by human greediness, closemindedness, and the need to conquer was exactly correct.


 


So more on Texas.  The first day there, we also went to Torchy's Tacos.  It was so good.  I had a fried avocado taco.  I've never thought of frying  avocado.  It was delicious.  I have also never thought of frying balls of cookie dough, but they do that too.  They're called nookies.  Creative!  And amazing...  The mural was done by one of Danny's dad's friends.





I would like to mention that the Torchy's mascot looks exactly like the one from my middle school.


The next day, we went to San Antonio.  We went and saw The Alamo.  I will remember it.  It was an amazing monument, and it seemed rather fascinating to me that such a stand and a massacre occurred there.  Those men were so brave.  What I really didn't know was that so many people from other countries died there as well.  People from around the world heard about the stand there and arrived to stand up for personal freedom and help them fight.  Davy Crockett was among those who died there.  Then, Texas was freed from Mexico and became its own country.  It was humbling to see.


 
 
  


After seeing the Alamo, we went along the River Walk.  It's a sunken river at a basement level to the majority of the buildings in San Antonio.  A lot of very touristy restaurants and silly tourists ferries are along the river, and we went to one Mexican restaurant.  It was tasty, I can't deny it.  All of the food I had while in Texas was so good.  I was generally very impressed.  The River Walk was pretty too.  It's a natural river, but a lot of man-made scenery, bridges, and stores have made it quite scenic.


 
 



More tomorrow from my Austin trip.  The rest included The Capital, The Hike and Bike Trail, Toy Joy, and our Megadate at Main Event!

No comments:

Post a Comment