Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Where's my Mutant Power?

Since I returned from my little, unexpected, unplanned, but thoroughly productive and useful three-month hiatus from this blog of mine, I've been trying very hard to write about what I care about.  It's really easy, with a blog, to fall into the trap of wanting people to read what you're writing, to see the art you are putting out there.  Honestly, I still check my page views many times a day, hoping that, for some reason I'll never know, someone out there actually finds what I have to say valuable.  Sometimes I'm not even sure that what I have to say is of value, but to be validated like that is kind of nice, and even if I'm not sure my words mean anything, I do think I take some nice photos from time to time.  Like the photographs of Brooklyn I have chosen to liberally sprinkle this post with for some beauty and comic relief.

 
Oooooh! Brooklyn rowhouses are gorgeous....

But, now, instead of writing what I think people want to read, I'm just writing down what I want to say.  This takes a serious bit of effort on my part.  I'm writing what I'm thinking, why I think I'm thinking it, and sharing what moves me.  Through this process of allowing my mental processes to work without scrutiny, and then later attempting to analyze what I have produced, I have determined quite a bit about myself.  It's been very telling, and I wish that I had taken an approach to writing that was along these lines much sooner.  Instead of just grabbing photographs from around town and writing "woah, street art is really cool, enjoy it!" or, whatever I used to write, because that definitely isn't a direct quote, I'm discovering that I feel very passionate about ideas and concepts.  I still like street art, but there is far more to life, and the types of beliefs and ideas that move me can be articulated both more succinctly, and more intricately than I have done previous to now.

Even four monthes ago when I took this, I was seeing beauty in underpasses.  Underpasses.  Really, self?  Your optimism might border on ridiculous, but why not.

The main concept and adoration, fixation, if you will, in my mind is this: I love the world, I love life, and I wish that everyone else would as well.  I want everyone to be happy.  Frankly, I want to save the world.  I want to save everyone in it. Where's my mutant power?  Because I've got some big ambitions about the direction of planet Earth and the human race.  Peaceful, happy ones.  My platform is, "World Peace and Happiness".  Trust me, I wish that I wasn't serious.  It's a hard platform to solve, which is why we all laugh at it.

Thank God for long walks in Prospect Park to contemplate these things. 

That is my new challenge with this blog.  I'm writing about what I care about, but I care an awful lot about a lot of things.  I care about people.  I care so hard.  I am just one of those people who cares.  I see people and I want to help them, even if I have never seen them before, and don't know anything about them.  Along with this, I am one of those people who tries and hopes.  I try, try, and try, and I hope, hope, and hope.  And... you know what?  In my life, it's been working.  I don't know exactly what I'm doing, but whatever I am doing, it seems to be functioning pretty brilliantly as of late.  I'm just happy. Did I mention that I also care?

We're all going to die, so we might as well make the best of our time here, right?  And maybe when we die, we'll be lucky enough to make it into Greenwood Cemetery, which is just stunning.

Here's my message: be happy.  Do something that makes you happy.  Find something about life that you think is good and focus on it.  I wish I knew what else to say, but I don't.  I'm young, and I have a lot about life left to learn.  All of this might turn out to be completely wrong in a few years, and I might just be naive and stupid.  I grant that.  But, maybe I'm onto something.  Maybe I'm right.  For now, I'm going to try this out and see if it continues to work, and then see if I can articulate why it works.  When I receive my mutant power, X-Men style, I'll be able to broadcast it to the world.  That's how it works, right?  Right?

The main question, then, is... What should my superhero name be?  Any suggestions?

Partially Painted Plastic Puppy Statuette Girl...  But no really, Danny and I do things like this sometimes when we're hanging out.

PS.  I don't expect mutant powers to magically be gifted unto me, I've just been reading a bit too much Marvel and playing X-Men Destiny lately.  However, it's difficult to deny that superpowers could be potentially useful.

Brooklyn, New York City, New York, USA

2 comments:

  1. A beautiful blog. thanks to you i discovered Waterhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! Glad I could spread his work around, he's wonderful.

    Thanks for visiting :)

    ReplyDelete