Monday, October 17, 2011

The Marvelous Monday Pact


Happy Monday!!

I've never been one of those people who are terrified of Mondays.  I don't hate Mondays, and I don't dread their arrival.  I've never minded them, as a matter of fact.  In high school, I was usually fine with going into school on Monday morning, because it was one of the only days of the week I didn't have to be there early for a club meeting.  (When I was in high school I was in far too many clubs because I wanted to be accepted to college... I was ridiculous.)  In college, I had classwork to do every day, so Mondays never felt particularly different.  While I worked summer stock... Monday was my day off.  It was my weekend.  So, it was my favourite day of the week!  Now, I love my job, so come Monday, I'm always excited and enthusiastic.  Waking up may not be the best moment of the day, but once I'm out of bed, have kissed my man goodbye, and am out the door, I'm a happy lady.
When I do have those mornings in which my pillow is beckoning to me, despite my lack of time, I try to think of this quote:
"Be miserable, or motivate yourself.  Whatever has to be done, it is always your choice"- Wayne Dyer

It helps me fend of the temptation of the warm covers and pleasant dreams by reminding me that no, snooze buttons do not make you late.  You make you late by not taking the time to double check the alarm, or make sure that you have gotten out of bed.  And this realization makes me happy, because it reminds me that I have free will.  I'm not a servant to fate.  My morning is good if I decide that it is good, and bad if I decide that it is bad.  If I choose to hate Mondays, I will hate Mondays.  If I start my week off with optimism and a smile, I am more likely to notice, and thus focus upon, the parts of my life that are going well, rather than poorly.  

Think about the ramifications of this... if we all just decided that we were going to start our Mondays with a smile, a happy thought, an omelette and a cup of steaming coffee instead of a frown, a scowl, and seventy-five smashes of the snooze button... WE MIGHT ALL HAVE AWESOME MONDAYS.  Isn't that great?  I think that's great.  I mean, I do prefer to have good days.  Bad days are to be avoided, in my opinion, so why on earth would I ever doom myself to one with  a bad attitude, or general negativity?  That goes against every logic I can possibly think of.

So, I propose this...
THE MARVELOUS MONDAY PACT.
*Cue trumpet fanfare*
I dare you to join me.  When you wake up on Monday, play some fun music, eat some nice food, go for a walk, call a good friend, watch an entertaining TV show, play a nifty video game, read an enchanting book, or do whatever the hell you need to do to make yourself postive.  Run.  Do yoga.  I don't care.  Read Travel and Toile....  Pick something.  You know what makes you happy better than anyone else does.  But give yourself a good day.  Why not?  Bad days aren't fun, are they?

As a motivation, please enjoy these photographs of coffee, breakfast items, and baked goods perfect for getting a smile on your face, and that dud of a Monday rolling!









Manhattan and Brooklyn, New York City, New York, USA


1 comment:

  1. I will definitely join your Monday Pact. I really have to tell myself to be positive every morning - especially now that winter has started to show its dark face here in Denmark. I like to start my mornings very early by going to the gym 'cause that gets me off to a great start :-)

    Lea Harbo

    ReplyDelete