Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Please Close the Gate

Grammercy Park is a private park, and it is truly a marvel to behold.  It's essentially spotless.  It's so well kept, that few fallen leaves cover the paths.  At any given time, it's extremely surprising to see more than three people in the park, and I've often walked past it and seen it completely empty.  The doors remain locked, from both the inside and the outside- you need a key to enter, and to leave.  I've had friends enter behind some lucky be-keyed individual, to then find themselves stuck a few hours later.  All three of them then resorted to climbing over the walls.  The walls are pretty high, so I'd guess that this was a bit of an endeavor.  A hard one.  A hard endeavor.  Basically, what I'm saying is that I wouldn't risk it.  That just sounds like way too much of a risk to me.  Even though the park looks stupidly awesome.  Only people for about a three block radius have keys to the park, and the rest of us are kept out.  It's just for the neighborhood.  I think that it's a neat idea, and wish that my neighborhood had one. 

The buildings surrounding the park, including a grand old church, some boutique hotels, old clubs and theaters, and gorgeous apartment buildings are about as pristine and well-kept as the park.  I know that one of the buildings houses part of the School of Visual Arts as well.  So, you have classy socialites, wealthy young families, churchgoers, and art students.  It's a neat area.  Here are some photographs I snapped of it yesterday.















Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA

No comments:

Post a Comment