Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Wake Up and Smell the Coffee


Woah!  It's been a full week since I've updated!  That wasn't meant to happen.  Oops.  But, no worry.  I'm updating now.  This past week has been a bit busy, what with work, martial arts classes, a guest staying, and this unexpected flu-like sickness I'm just getting over.  I've been a bit of a wreck the past few days.  Thankfully, I now have internet in my apartment, so I can start to share the wealth of photographs that are stored from my digital cameras with you.  That will start within the next couple of days, as soon as I locate my little piece of hardware to transfer photos from my memory sticks to my computer.  It's... somewhere in those boxes that I haven't unpacked yet from the move.  I got very motivated to start on that project yesterday, but we have a guest at the house, and I felt bad about ripping through our stuff with someone else there.  Perhaps that will be a task of mine this weekend.

I just have so many photographs to share!  A photoshoot with my friend Jen, snaps from Texas, around town, a day I spent in Greenwood Cemetery in Brooklyn... so much stuff, and so much to say about all of it!  It's times like these when I'm facing a complete wealth of content that I get very excited about this blog.  When I run out of photographs, or am not feeling very inspired, or, even more importantly, have no idea what to say, it's hard to write posts.  Every blogger must feel that way, I guess.  And I could just crank something out every single day, just to make sure that the date stamp is filled, but I'm not that kind of person.  If I'm going to do it, I want to make it quality.  I want to make my article, post, whatever, about a topic or idea that doesn't just mean something to me, but means something to the world.  An idea that shows people something about life that they hadn't thought of before.  A new way of looking at things.  

This world has so much to offer, and the more I see and experience, the more unique and amazing everything seems to me.   Some people don't see the world like that.  The more they see and experience, the more jaded they become, and the more everything looks the same.  Every place is less exciting, every trip less fulfilling.  Every new food less tasty, because, well, they've tasted something kind of like it, and so they can't possibly learn anything about this new thing.

I never, ever, ever want to live like that.  The day that small things stop making me excited, the day that I can no longer find beauty in seeing something anew, had better be the day that I die.  Otherwise, I'd be like the walking dead.  If we don't look at the world slightly differently every time we wake up, what's the point in waking up?  You might as well stay asleep and dream about how great things used to be, your own romanticized version of the past that's always better and significantly more awesome than it actually was.  We do that.

Wake up and smell the coffee.  
 Smell the particular flavor it has that day, how you added a little bit more grounds than usual, or maybe not as much sugar.  Notice the differences.  Otherwise, why are you living? To experience new things?  Because your own biases are keeping you from doing this.  Your own jaded feelings, those ones you have to try and protect yourself, to make yourself invulnerable.  You aren't invulnerable.  You're stunting your own growth.  I'm not saying that you should go jump off a bridge, I'm saying, change your attitude. You know that you have control over that, right?

 Because coffee is delicious, life can be great, and you don't want to miss out.

If you want this world to suck, guess what it's going to do?  Suck.  If you go into an experience wanting to not have a good time, guess what's going to happen?  You're not going to have a good time.  If you go into an experience thinking that you already know everything, guess what?  You're not going to learn anything.  If you talk to someone, thinking that you're better or smarter than them, guess what?  You're not going to learn anything about who they are, where they are from, or what their unique human experience has been.  If you go somewhere hoping that it will be somewhere else you've already been, or go on a date with someone hoping they will be just like your ex, or get food at a new restaurant hoping that it will taste just like the food at your favourite restaurant, guess what?  You will be disappointed, might even hate it, and will miss the uniqueness and new flavors, personalities, sights, or experiences that you could have had if you had dropped your own preconceived notions.  Stop falling prey to your own self-fulfilling prophecies.

Stop going into things with expectations, and stop having opinions about things you don't know.  All you are doing is missing out on seeing how things truly are, because *gasp*, this might even help you grow.  And if you aren't growing, what's the point?  I think that's the point.  That's why I do this.  That's why I look at the world like this.  And, that is why I will never, ever stop.  

I want you to join me.  For your own sake, please, join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment