Saturday, November 19, 2011

What Holiday Is It?

I posted about a month ago on the day after Halloween about the bizarre weather.  We had snow for Halloween.  It was nuts.  The holiday seemed to be all mixed up.  However, that was the work of Mother Nature, not the work of people.  People didn't go and dump snow on the ground outside.  People are, though, dumping Christmas ribbons, lanterns, decorations and the like on stuff.  Already.

Every year, people complain that the "holiday cheer" starts to be spread earlier and earlier, and I think they are right.  I took these photographs in Bryant Park this past Thursday, a full week before Thanksgiving.  The ice skating rink and Christmas market are set up, and open for business.  It's nuts.  Pumpkins decorate the park, and so do pinecones and bows.  So... has Thanksgiving become Christmagiving?  Are we skipping over the turkey and the gravy?  Don't get me wrong- I love the winter holiday season.  I celebrate Christmas, and it's one of my favourite parts of the year.  But, it is hilarious to see the mix of seasons decorating one place, to me.

The first photograph is actually from a store window in Grand Central Station, but I thought it summarized my point pretty clearly. Thus, it was included.












And, to sum it up...


Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA

No comments:

Post a Comment