Thursday, September 29, 2011

On the Line, the Highline

Highline Park is the coolest and most wonderful re-purposing project that I have ever seen, and, it might possibly be the best one ever.  I know I haven't seen many things in my life- I'm young, and haven't traveled a particularly large amount.  But, it's such a damn brilliant idea.  I was actually struggling when it came to writing about the Highline... in a few short monthes, it has gone from being an old, abandoned train track to one of the major tourist destinations in New York City.  So much is being said about this place, that I wasn't sure how to say something different.  It's the center of media, local, and traveler attention, and I feel like everyone seems to know about it.

But, maybe you don't. The Highline Park is an elevated park that runs for many blocks (more than 20!), from Gansevoort St to 34th St, on the West Side of Manhattan.  The park is often twenty or thirty feet above the ground.  It's amazing. The ground consists of constructed sidewalks and old train tracks with flowers and trees growing in between the old, rusty metal.  Instead of seeing the surrounding street at your level, you are on par with buildings two or three stories up, and you can look down at the busy intersections and streets below, watch the cars and busses going by.  If you look out to the west, it is easy to see the Hudson River, and, from a few points, you can even see the East River if you look out to the east.  Benches are plentiful in the park, and a few cafes and streetcarts serving gourmet foods, coffees, and even wine and beer are present in some locations.  The Highline is a wonderful experience, and it takes about 20 minutes to a half an hour to walk the whole thing, if you aren't stopping often.  If you really stop to take a look at the beautiful New York architecture around, the rooftop gardens, the rivers, the flowers, and the food and drink offerings, it could easily take an hour to traverse the whole thing.

The far West Side of Manhattan is very easy for tourists to ignore, and I sincerely hope that the Highline Park will help to change that.

It's beautiful.  If you are planning to visit New York City sometime in the near future, I think you should go.  If you live in New York City, go.  I waited monthes after it opened to check it out, and I'm just disappointed that I didn't go sooner!  It's so lovely.













More to come about the Highline this weekend.  There might be some flowers!
:-)

Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment