Monday, April 25, 2011

Bits and Pieces

A few weeks ago, I shared a post about how enamored I have become with Instagram, an iPhone app that puts film-like filters over phone photographs.  It's stupidly delightful, and I've been playing with it a lot.  On days when I know I might be able to get a few good shots in, but am not planning to go out for a long shoot, it's a nice way to carry around fewer expensive electronic items.  Plus, as someone who very much wants to begin experimenting more with film, it's an opportunity to see some of the styles of different vintage cameras and such.

So, here a few of my recent shots, complete with little stories .  I hope you enjoy them!

My favourite Teacup next to my windowsill.  I got this awesome thing at Urban Outfitters- it's a pretty, teacup style, but it's large like a mug.  And I like to drink lots of tea and coffee,  so the larger the cup, the happier my morning tends to be!  Now that I have a great new job and have to show up by 9AM after a forty-five minute train commute, a happy morning me is a far preferable option.  Not that it wasn't always, but it is even more so now.

This photo shows, if you hadn't guessed it, the Brooklyn Bridge!  It was taken during one of my many traipses over the structure.  I don't remember when.  If I went to my Facebook and checked the date and time, then I would know, but frankly, it's rather irrelevant.  My favourite thing about this photo is the awkward man's head that made its way into my frame at the very last minute.  Something about his excellent and spiky hairstyle just makes me grin like a little schoolgirl.  Here's this gorgeous, majestic bridge, and its classy cords and lamppost- and then this guy with goofy hair.  Frankly, I'm extremely glad that he stepped into my shot.

The most fun thing about taking photographs with my phone, however, is that people sometimes cannot tell that I am, indeed, photographing them.  I've always loved street candids and the like, but my ability to take photos discreetly is a bit dubious, to say the least.  (What I mean is that I totally suck at it.)  But now, I can take this kind of picture.  So, here is my Starbucks barista, in Tribeca, pumping some lovely, sugar-free flavor into my latte.  Or, it may have been equally lovely sugary flavor into someone else's coffee.  In any case, I sincerely enjoy this filter- it's called Poprocket, and the name makes me want to groove to the Spice Girls with my hands covered in Ring Pops.  I'm not quite sure why that is, but it sounds like fun, so I'm just going to go with it.

THE DOLLAR DUMPLINGS.
These are a New York institution.  At least, for me.  You can get five delicious dumplings for only one dollar.  The sign outside is mostly in Chinese, except for, very small, the words "Fried Dumpling" in all caps.  I believe there is a letter missing somewhere too.  This place is on what is basically an alleyway street right near Columbus park in Chinatown.  There is no real door- to get in, you walk through some of that hanging plastic strip, which does very little to keep the heat in or out.  There is always the same woman working behind the counter, who seems to be the owner.  Sometimes there is another person with her, making dumplings as she shells them out.  She barely speaks English, but asks you "how many?" and the proper response is to hold up the correct number of fingers.  You give her that number of dollars, and she hands you plates or take out containers full of that many multiples of five nummy dumplings.  There is a bar with hot sauce and vinegar sauce, and about seven stools.  The service is rude, the food comes instantly, and it is obscenely cheap.  Perfectly New York City in every way.  I love it.

Brooklyn and Manhattan
New York City, New York, USA
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment