Sunday, April 17, 2011

LES Love Song

Every time I am in the Lower East Side, it isn't my destination.  I can think of maybe two times in my life that I have specifically gone to LES.  I am always just passing through, walking, on my way to somewhere else...  Chinatown, Williamsburg, the East Village- wherever.  But, every time I find myself there, I wonder why I don't go there more often.  It's such a neat neighborhood!  

LES is often associated with professionals who are no longer young, and have recently realized that if they don't get married and start having kids soon they will miss their chance, so they had better go to lots of classy bars and find someone asap.  It is also associated with shifty project buildings that one shouldn't go by during the night.  To some, this would seem totally strange, but I like this mix of people.  The upscale and the... lowscale?  (Is that a word?) meet and mingle in LES.  There are trashy bodegas next to swanky nightclubs, collapsing tenements across the street from modern palaces.  It is a beautiful mix of high and low, with a lot of neat places to go, and things to see.  The parks are nifty, there is a lot of waterfront, and well, yeah.  It just appeals to me.  Sometime I'll go hang out there for real.  Maybe.  Or, I might just keep saying that I should.



Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment