Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Zoom In, Feel the Beat

It might be kind of obvious, but I love wall art.  Murals, graffiti, frescos, you name it.  But really, I like urban art.  It makes me feel the beat of the city, in a weird way, like a DJ is spinning an mmphz mmphz into my heart.  You can feel it pounding in your chest sometimes- the subway running beneath you, the cars whizzing by, the street musician down the block, the planes overhead.  The sirens a few streets away.  It all mixes together in a beautiful music that completes itself into an experience with the life and soul of the people.  That might sound totally ridiculous, but that's how it feels to me.  I see people I know nothing about, and take in how they look, how they portray themselves, and put it in context of the place I see them.  Urban art helps with that so much, especially when it's brightly colored and specific.  There's so much life there, so much defiance.

So, for this set of photographs, I zoomed in on some grafitti.  These are details- you probably won't be able to see the words.  I wanted to capture the feeling of the expression, how the spray paint looks on the pavement, not the overall picture.  I'm rather happy with how they turned out.  I know that glorifying street art and urban-ness, and showing colors and lines and such can come off a bit pretentious, but that really isn't what I am going for here. The colours and patterns move me, they really do.  

I hope they move you too...  or that you at least find them kind of nifty. 
...mmphz mmphz...

 


All photographs taken on the Manhattan Bridge
New York City, New York, USA
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment