Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Happy Mardi Gras/ Shrove Tuesday!

Today is the day before Lent... aka Mardi Gras, Shrove Tuesday, Carnivale... whatever you want to call it.  I have been eating sweets all day. Wonderful.

The British are obsessed with pancakes on Shrove Tuesday.  There were pancake flipping races all over the city today.  Sadly, I was unable to go, but I did check out a little TV footage of them, and it looks like they were pretty hilarious.  It was raining today, and I had class at lunchtime, when the festivities occurred.  Here are some photos from years past. I got them off of Google Images.  Really, I wish that I could have gone.

 
 

For Lent this year, I am doing the utterly unthinkable- giving up all junk food and sweets.  Frankly, it's an exercise of willpower, just to see if I can do it.

To celebrate my decision, I had a pain au chocolat for breakfast, and a cappuccino and a Hazelnut Ritter Sport for lunch.


HAPPINESS.
No.  Not happiness... must resist... starting tomorrow.


Happy Mardi Gras everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment