Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sunday Style: This Is Far More Difficult than Expected

I wanted to write a blog post today.  I've been dressing okay lately... not as stylish as I aspire to be, but not awful either.  There have been a few outfit "zingers" in the past few weeks, and I've been pretty appropriately proud of all of them.  This makes me happy.  There have also been a lot of jeans and sweaters because it's cold, I'm lazy, and I don't like waking up too long before I have to leave the house.  Also, I somehow manage to forget where things are sometimes.  But, yeah.  I've been doing well on the fashion spectrum.  Despite not going to martial arts a lot the past few weeks I haven't put on any weight (woot) and I guess that means I'm eating less.  Nifty.  Now I'll look even better when I start working out more hours again.  And there will be pictures, at that time.

At this time, there are no pictures.  

I admire fashion bloggers a lot, because they have to do more than I ever thought.  Getting your hair, makeup, and outfit model-perfect every day could be fun, sure, but it could also be painstakingly hard work.  Doing my hair sometimes takes me a full 10-15 minutes depending on how straight/ curly/ generally organized I want it to be, and don't even get me started on outfits.  There have been far too many times that five minutes before I need to leave the house, I find myself sitting in a pile of dresses, tights, socks, cardigans, and boots, silently sobbing.  Okay, I'm not always silently sobbing, but you get the idea.  Not always.  Only every other day.  Indecision is a cruel mistress, and makeup has to be reapplied every time you cry.

Why, clothes, WHY??!??

My standard go-to outfit is a dress, tights, boots, and a sweater, or, perhaps a blazer if I'm feeling particularly sassy.  In summer, there is no sweater, probably no tights, although, maybe, if they are sheer, and some sort of little sneaker-shoe.  A scarf could be worn around the neck with any of these outfits, along with some big, vintage-y earrings, and the three silver rings I have on every day.  Sometimes I get creative and wear, oh my god, jeans.  Or separates.  Like, a skirt and shirt.  That go together.  On occasion, I even belt them.  I know.  I can't believe it either.  Then, every once in a while, the sky melts, and... I ... I put a scarf in my hair.  Or an equivalent thereof.  My clothing is moderately creative, but there are really only so many options.  I have a whole bunch of little dresses, but I wear the same 12 or so most of the time.  Likewise with shirts- I own many neat shirts, ranging from blouse to tee and back again.  Given that generally, dresses are worn, there aren't too many opportunities for shirts that cannot be used for the purposes of working out.  Thankfully, I work out a lot, so the shirts appropriate for such tasks don't have to feel abandoned or unloved.  The other ones get neglected quite often.

I did buy a pair of tights the other day with a pirate print.  They are in the mail.  Necessary?  No.  Wait... necessary?  Yes.  They have f****ing narwhals on them.  Fighting.  What did you think I said?

So, uh, yeah. FASHION.  I'm wearing PJ pants and a sports bra right now.  True story.  I clearly am beyond qualified to write fashion posts.  Both articles are from Target.  Big budget.

I swear, one of these Sundays, this will be a real fashion post again.  It's just difficult because....


1. 
It's cold.  You know what you don't want to do when it's cold?  Pose outside wearing anything that isn't a warm, snuggly winter coat.

2. 
I only have two warm, snuggly winter coats, and I've showed off both of them already.

3. 
I have no backyard.  I have to find somewhere outside to do this, because my apartment isn't the best setting, and everyone, including myself, looks best in natural light.  This means going somewhere.  This also means that using a tripod is maybe not the best idea because I'm outside in New York City.  A skinny little white girl by herself, kind of close to, but not touching an expensive piece of machinery.  I might as well run down the street screaming, "take my camera!  Free camera!  Take it!".  This means I need a buddy.  And, I'm just not quite narcissistic enough to steal an hour out of someone's day just to get photographs of myself.  


All of these things will be resolved, but just to let you know, I admire fashion bloggers because they have apparently gotten over all of these things.

In the meantime, here are some cute things I've worn.  In the past.  I do wear clothing.  Pieces you will probably see again, when I have real fashion posts.


This one is what I wore to the Sleep No More Valentine's Day Party on Tuesday.  It's the only picture, because it was dark, and I felt tacky about using flash.  This dress made me so happy, though- it's a floor-length black casual gown with slits on the site that let my ribs hang out.  Since my ribs are the only part of my body one might describe as "bony," I feel like I might as well show them off.  That handsome guy is Danny.



This was taken on Thanksgiving at my parents' house.  The lady on the left is me, and the one on the right is my  little sister, Julianna, who is doing her first print modeling gig this week!  I'm excited for her.  We're all printy and full of happy smiles here.



This was taken on my birthday, in Texas.  That's our friend Alex Stevens on the right.  It's an actual full-body shot of me... not too many of those exist.  You can see how short I really am.  But, you can also see how rocking that dress is that I'm wearing.  It's one of my favourite dresses, but I've been having issues figuring out how to adapt it for winter.



Now this is a rarely-seen sight.  That's me.  IN SHORTS. Next to what may be one of the weirder tags I've seen, in Austin.  Also, I'm wearing a Batman shirt, because, I can.



And, in this one, Danny is wearing a Batman shirt.  Because, well, he can.

Really, though.  I'll have a real post next Sunday.  I'll get over this.  Don't be stunned if it involves Batman too.  Between the two of us, we have five Batman shirts.

Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment