Monday, February 15, 2010

Coffee Addiction

I sent this information to my family, because they are coming to visit in March/ April.  So I thought that I might as well share with everyone else as well.


COFFEE

So many of us love it.  Really love it.  It's an important staple of our day.  Honestly it's the most brilliant drink ever- tasty, customizable, and wickedly addictive.  And here, it is different than in the US.




  First off, a  lot of coffee shops do not have a plain filter coffee on their menu.  If they do, it is either not posted, or hidden in a corner and called "filter".  Often, it tastes really bad because so few people order it, it has stayed on the burner for too long.  Not the best choice.  Instead, get a latte, an americano, or a cappuccino.  Almost all drinks are automatically made with two shots of espresso rather than one, but if you ask, they can make it with one or three.  Also, nothing comes sweetened.  You add your own sugar.  So fewer calories, yay!



Another note- it is always more expensive to sit in the coffee shop to eat your meal and drink your drink.  Pret a Manger is especially bad with this.  So always do take out, then sit on a nice bench in a public square or park to eat the food, rather than sitting in the crowded restaurant.  It will be better anyway.



Oh, and Cafe Nero> Costa Coffee> Pret a Manger> Starbucks quality wise. In my opinion. But, reverse that and you have the prices, generally.  This does not apply to all drinks.  In the US, I am obsessed with Starbucks, but I don't know if I'll ever be able to do it again.  Do not go to Starbucks here.  It is expensive and crappy in comparison.


The cheapest way, though, to have some coffee shop time, is to bring your own teabag and ask for a serving of hot water.  It will never cost more than 40p.  Plus, you could bring along one of the excellent teas you bought at a cute little English tea shop.  What could be more authentic?  I picked up this lovely Mango Black Tea, which I have been drinking constantly. I would highly recommend it.




If you are just looking to drink some coffee, the cheapest way is to just buy a travel mug, and make it at home.  I picked up this fantastic one at The British Museum- it's the writing from The Rosetta Stone.  I'm a nerd, basically.


 

Just a note that all photos except for this last one were gotten off of google images.

No comments:

Post a Comment