Thursday, February 11, 2010

Caerdydd

Last Friday, I took a day trip to Cardiff, Wales.  Caerdydd means Cardiff in Welsh.  I have now gone to two countries in Europe during this trip!  It was only a four hour journey, which was quite nice.  I just took the bus there in the morning, and then back in the evening.

The first people I saw when I got off of the bus, were an elderly man and woman, with a bowler hat and a colorful headscarf.  They were actually speaking Welsh.  I got so excited.

My first stop was the incredible Castell Caerdydd, or Cardiff Castle.  It was my favourite castle yet.  It began as a Roman Garrison, then was used as a castle again beginning in the Middle Ages, then was redone time and time again until the Bute family rebuilt much of it.  The main living part of the castle was built in the neogothic style during the Victorian era, but the keep is significantly older.  The wall contains its original Roman beginnings, then builds on up.

 
  
  
  
  
 
 
 

One of the coolest things about the Castell was the falconry exhibit.  Birds used for falconry were on display.

The most interesting was the big owl, who reminded me completely of the Grand Duke of Owls, or for those of you who do not know, the villain from Rockadoodle.

  
  

Ok maybe just a little bit... bit it does resemble a little bit yeah?  Leave me a comment and let me know what you think.
There were some other amazing things in Cardiff as well.  In the middle of Bute Park, a large park in the center of town, there was an ancient stone circle, complete with altar and everything.  There was no plaque, no description, just a stone circle in the middle of a field.  You could climb on it.  I did.  There was not any kind of an attempt at preservation.  I guess Wales has enough stone circles to not be concerned.

  

Next, I went to the Amgueddfa Cymru, or the National Museum of Wales.  It was a nifty place.  There was an exhibit about the beginnings of Wales from the creation of the earth through prehistoric times, all the way to today.

  
 



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment