Monday, February 20, 2012

But from Funk Comes ART!

It's President's Day, and I still have no new photographs for you.  I'll have some soon.  I swear.  It'll happen.  But, while you are eagerly awaiting that exciting day- I can smell your anticipation from here, enjoy some work by a friend of mine- Kacie Leo!

Kacie and I have known one another since we were eleven, making her one of my oldest friends.  While I do photography as a fun and silly hobby, she's actually doing it as a career.  She's in school for photojournalism, but does lots of amazing artistic photography as well.  Kacie modeled in high school, and for a year or so after we graduated, and now she uses herself as a model in a lot of her work.  She does mostly film, but uses digital as well sometimes.  This morning, she sent me this new series she recently completed, with herself as a model, and I think it's lovely.  Her art often has a darker, edgier quality to it that, frankly, I'm not particularly awesome at capturing.  I tend to be drawn to things I find nice, or pretty, though sometimes I use subjects that are slightly grittier.  When I do, though, I tend to shoot it in a way that ends up, once again, looking moderately pretty.  Kacie keeps the edge in her work, and it's a bit different than what I usually show, which I think is fun. So, I thought I'd share it with you!  Enjoy.

Here's what she told me in her email, "This recent hospital adventure put me into a bit of a funk. But from a funk comes ART!  If you feel so inclined, I would love to see these on your blog. I put a lot of myself into these images. I don't have an artist statement, or any sort of text with my vision. If you choose to use any of these, you may write what you find fitting".

Instead of writing a statement... I'm just going to let the work speak for itself.  I love how she used the hospital bracelet, and sick look after her hospital visit, however.  It's so easy to want to photograph yourself as attractive all of the time... see yesterday's post to get a glimpse at my compulsion into this.  Kudos to you, darlin', for embracing the look of the piece, and still managing to look glamorous.  

Go, Kacie.  Go.








No comments:

Post a Comment