Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Inspiration Fridays: Old New York

Yes, yes, it is Wednesday.  But, I was so excited about this post that I couldn't wait!

Inspiration Wednesday just doesn't sound as thrilling.

Old New York.  Old maps.  Old photos.  Memories of what this place once was... they fascinate me.  I didn't grow up in New York, but my dad grew up mostly right outside of the city, and my grandparents worked in the Bronx.  I feel tied to this place, and do more so every day.  It's been almost five years since I moved up to the big apple, and though I don't plan on spending my entire life here, I certainly love it!

So, here are some wonderful images of the New York City, and parts of the city that were once their own cities, that once was and were!

1853 World's Fair Maps



1899 Brooklyn Memorial Day Parade!
I'll have some photos from the 2012 Memorial Day Parade up soon.




Painters hang from suspended wires on the Brooklyn Bridge October 7, 1914 -- 31 years after it first opened!
From the New York City Municipal Archives



Old Subway Sign, circa 1980's.
Source Unknown.



Interior of the old Penn Station.  Whenever I see photographs of this I want to cry- Penn Station is such an ugly vortex of stress now, and this beautiful building is lost.  Bad decisions.  Ah, well.



I'm guessing that they mean The Manhattan Bridge, but I'm not totally sure... It could be the Williamsburg.  I'll have to adventure and check it out!



3rd Ave and 166th St in the Bronx.


A news article from 1917 profiling the old Atlantic Ave station- for which the entrance still stands today. It's that thing in the middle of the street where all the busses stop in that insane intersection next to the new Barclay's Center.



Mock battleship built in Union Square as a recruiting advertisement for WWI!



Aerial view of downtown Manhattan from 1850, featuring Castle Clinton, which, apparently used to be in the middle of the water, folks.  Who knew?



McSorley's Ale House on East 7th St in Manhattan in 1942- I can attest, it looks pretty much exactly the same now.



Another amazing subway photo of the Times Square Shuttle, which just runs from 42nd Times Square to 42nd Grand Central, from back before the graffiti was cleaned off of trains the same day it was put on.



A class of 5th grade students in Riverdale in the 1920's.



Shot of the beautiful interior of the tragically rotting Loewe's King's Theatre right by where I live.
Apparently, it's beginning a remodeling soon, and is set to open again in 2014 or 2015 as a theatre instead of a movie theatre.  


Happy Adventuring, everyone!




No comments:

Post a Comment