Friday, March 30, 2012

I Feel All Colonial

"I'm wearing a robe!  I feel all colonial.  I just want to put my foot on top of you and say, I claim this in the name of Danny, for the land of Garrison.  The Buck is underfoot".

Danny said this to me last night.  

When he did, I immediately conjured a vision of Ratcliffe from Disney's Pocahontas...


Then, I thought of Captain Morgan.


This, is Danny (and his dad)...



I love him so much.  I would say that it's stupid, but it actually makes complete sense because, did you see that quote right there?  That is awesome!  So unbelievably wonderful.  Historical, hilarious, and just lovely.  He's perfect for me.


See?



Other things that have happened to me over the past few days...

I knocked over a display of turnips at the local grocer.  It wasn't a supermarket, it was a little family-owned fruit and veggie stand that sells them super-cheap.  This place may be called Mango King.  Okay, it's called Mango King.  



So, I was at the bodega/ grocer formally known as Mango King, and I reached to grab a turnip.  It was a slightly colder day than usual, so I planned to make a stew of winter vegetables.  I was buying leeks, scallions, beets, yams, potatoes and ginger.  Oh, and the ill-fated turnips.  I wanted three turnips.  I grabbed at the one that looked the best, like most good shoppers of produce do.  My mother trained me well.  Unfortunately, I didn't notice exactly how the stack seemed to be balanced.  Though the turnip I chose was sort of on the top level, and by sort of, what I mean is not really, but it was certainly not on the bottom level where one would expect to create an avalanche.  But, I did not properly calculate the angle at which the turnip display was positioned, and turnips rained down on me. 


 Turnips happen to be round, and they didn't just fall on me. They fell into the kale, into the dandelion greens, onto the floor,  rolled across the floor, landed under the nut and seed display, hid beneath a cooler, and even traipsed their jolly way into the break room.  


I ran frantically all over the place to try and correct what I had done before the employees noticed, but, seeing as how a bunch of turnips had just tally-hoed their way into their break room, the employees had become aware of the situation.  They helped me clean it up, and were really cool about it.  For a moment, I wondered if they would make me buy all of the turnips that had rolled onto the floor.  This would then have required some creativity I'm not sure if I possess.  Cooking with vegetables is a skill at which I am acquiring new dots and proficiencies daily, but I'm not certain if I could utilize multiple dozen turnips before they went bad.  Turnips are just not... they are one of the least exciting vegetables.  I use them because they are cheap and soak up whatever sauce they are in, but as a standalone, they are really rather bland and uninspiring.







 My main board is recipes because cooking is fun.  Also, cooking saves money.  Having fun and saving moolah are two of my favourite past-times, so, yeah.  Cooking.  I like vegetables.  They taste great and make my thighs look tasty too.  Great.  They make my thighs look great.  Not tasty.  

Like that looks!




Other other news, I finally started reading Game of Thrones.  
I know that I am a few years late to this party, but woah.  WHY AM I LATE TO THIS PARTY?  This is such a marvelous party!  I guess this makes me fashionably late?  No?  Okay.  Game of Thrones is fabulous.  I'm riveted.  Good thing I have to fill at least an hour and a half of subway rides every day with stuff like reading.  I'll massacre this series in no time.


Also, I feel like I missed a seriously amazing and perfect casting opportunity here.  Not that I'm doing a whole lot of acting these days, I'm focusing on teaching, and loving every moment of it, but this is the type of piece I'd like to be in.  It's also my type.

That's me.

That's a screenshot from the show.

I'm just saying.


More things to share- I'm feeling better!  Finally!  I took the morning off from work again yesterday, which I felt awful about, but now I'm feeling in tip-top shape.  Refreshed, healthy, and invigorated.  So, hooray to that.  Yes.  Double yes.


Yeah.  I am wearing a Batman shirt.  Because, Batman.


Also, I'm writing an essay right now, which is mind-boggling, because the last time I wrote an essay was in college, which I graduated from almost two years ago.  My mind isn't boggled by the fact that I've been out for so long- that feels proper and excellent.  I just seem to have forgotten how to write a cohesive essay in a manner that takes forever.  In high school and college, I never became exceptionally proficient at whipping out papers.  I actually found myself having to work on them if I wanted them to be anything other than a vile piece of word barf.  This essay is for Yoga Teacher training, and, well, I cranked it out.  It is taking no time, and was nearly done stream-of-consciousness, with then, a few tweaks added in subsequent read-throughs.  Perhaps it is because I am writing on this so often.  In any case.  Yes.  This is thrilling.  All I had to do was graduate college to master faster than light essay-composition.


Thanks for all ya do, readers!

~Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment